Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sun City Spring Plant Sale

One of the benefits of having your in laws live in Sun City is that they tell you about all the plant sales.  There's a plant sale in the spring and one in the fall.  My mother in law went to the spring sale last year, deemed it wonderful and insisted I go to the fall sale.  Unfortunately, because of the drought, there weren't a whole lot of plants and most of them were gallon sized (obviously, the bigger the pot, the more money you have to spend).  I still bought plants - specifically a pink turk's cap, and two plumbagos.  Sadly, the plumbagos didn't make it through the winter.

My mother in law told me that the spring sale was coming up, but also prefaced it with she wasn't sure if it was going to be any good based on the fall sale, but also stated that her friends all insisted that the spring sale is ALWAYS bigger than the fall sale.  Since I am a sucker for plants, I said that I would go.

Since the sale starts at 9 am, it was mandated that I arrive at 845 or so.  Shawn and I rolled up right at 845 I think, but we didn't leave for the sale until 9.  By the time we arrived at 915, some plants (such as Mexican Honeysuckle) were already sold out.

Of course it didn't help any that as we walked up, I was taken with the poppies and started taking photos while showing my husband ("See!  these are like the plants we have in our yard, they're not thistle, they're poppies!" "that may be, but the plants you have in the yard are thicker stemmed and the leaves look a little different")



I finally got down to the business of looking at the plants and found some miniature Coreopsis, a few Hymenoxys, a Standing Cypress, a Verbena, a Columbine,  and some Butterflyweed.


As we were walking to the checkout, who would you think we ran into but Bob from Draco Gardens? (No picture because I wasn't thinking)

I also walked around and took a picture of the gardens - because of the deer and Sun City's restrictions, if you want to do vegetable gardening,you're more than likely going to do it here (there are tall fences around the entire thing)

All in all, I had a great time at the sale, and I'll be heading back in the fall to see what other plants I can find.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Who can resist a good plant sale? Not I, that's for sure. Sounds like a good haul for you.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Have you planted any blue mistflower yet? Easy to grow, and the monarchs and queens LOVE them!